Common Causes :
- Free Feeding - leaving food out at all times for grazing when pet
needs to eat Feeding table scraps - not necessarily people food that
causes this, but the behavioral patterns that feeding dogs from plates
and the table create over time. This can also lead to undesirable begging,
whining, counter surfing, increased risk of obesity, and digestive
- Lack of variety in diet - quality of food is of course important,
but often Ultra Premium food varieties allow more diverse ingredients
and protein sources. Also, switching styles within the same line will
allow easier transition and build stronger digestive systems.
- “Bi-products” - this is a loose labeling term for anything
that is not derived from a single meat source and is not 100% human
grade. All of the Ultra Premium food lines sold at Muttropolis, offer
only 100% Human grade ingredients and are free of all “bi-products” as
well as many of the more commonly used heavy preservatives and allergy
causing fillers (corn, wheat, soy, etc). The actual items within this
label can change from bag to bag and can eventually lead to allergies,
increased health concerns, and often produce picky eaters!
- Inconsistent Feeding Schedule - Dogs and cats are much like children
in their responsiveness to a very consistent schedule. Our pets rely
on us to provide them with love and leadership and most importantly
a regular routine to allow them to be happy and healthy dogs and cats.
A regular feeding schedule will also aid in balancing their energy
Feed Ultra Premium Foods: Muttropolis only carries foods considered
ultra-premium. Ultra premium Foods are distinct mainly by the high standards
placed on their ingredients. These foods will provide the best balance
of nutrition to ensure a long and healthy life. Many commercial foods
use large amounts of common allergens such as corn, wheat, and soy as
fillers which lead to increased waste and large feeding amounts. Because
of their superior ingredients, dogs on ultra premium varieties require
less food each day which leads to less waste. Please ask a Muttropolis
associate for more information on the importance of Ultra Premium Foods.
Scheduled feeding times: Measuring your pets food each scheduled meal
time will allow better assessment of their eating habits that could alert
you to possible or future changes in their medical needs. Also, this
often encourages pets to eat the food when it is provided, as if they
do not consume it within a set time, it is removed and not provided until
the next scheduled meal time. Adult dogs are generally fed twice a day,
while puppies and dogs with medical conditions will benefit from three
meals a day. Cats and kittens vary, but often do well with one meal a
Supplementing a kibble diet with canned food: Adding a tablespoon or
two of an Ultra Premium canned food could entice your picky pup or finicky
feline into enjoying their meal time. Adding a touch of warm water to
the food can also increase it’s palatability and encourage eating.
Feeding a Raw Diet: The belief behind the raw meat and bones diet stems
from the history of our dogs and cats. Dogs and Cats were naturally engineered
to digest and consume raw meat, vegetables, and calcium rich bones. With
styles by Nature’s Variety and Halshan’s, this diet is made
easier for pet parents that desire the ease of kibble diets, but wish
to provide a more natural alternative. Cooking the food results in a
loss of the natural enzymes within the ingredients. These enzymes are
extremely vital to a pets health and support their well-being.
Please ask a Muttropolis associate for other great ideas on increasing your
pets eating habits. For more information on pet food, see our article on common
pet food ingredients and their benefits.
Picky Pets -
- Natural Balance Rolls: Turkey, Lamb, Beef
- Dehydrated Canned Food - dry to the touch, great for training rewards
- Can be cubed, sliced, or even grated over kibble for encouraging
- Mix kibble with grated rolls, and a tablespoon of warm water
Wellness Fish and Potato & Simple Solutions- Venison or
- Novel Proteins are very aromatic to picky pups
- Excellent source of omega fatty acids are great for allergy prone
dogs and dogs with itchy or dry skin
- Adding a tablespoon of warm water will increase smell and encourage
- Freeze dried raw food “Bio Coating” is unique to this
brand and is an excellent source of enzymes usually cooked off in other
- Very Palatable and excellent for picky eaters
- Highest level of protein compared to all brands.
- Salmon, Venison, Chicken, and Lamb varieties allow switching proteins
easily within the same brand to vary a picky eaters diet
Merrick cans dog/cat:
- Very palatable all fresh canned diets
- Six flavors for dogs: Puppy, Grammy’s Pot Pie, Thanksgiving
Day dinner, Wingaling, Turducken, Senior
- 3 flavors for cats: California Roll, Surf N Turf, New England Broil
- Every can looks like a stew, you can see the chunks of chicken, carrots,
and peas with a fresh taste dogs and cats will love!
Nature’s Variety Raw Instinct for Dogs and Cats:
- 42% protein in the dog formula and 50% protein in the cat formula
make this food highly palatable.
- Contains high quality chicken and highly digestible tapioca, which
is grain-free and gluten-free
Nature’s Variety Raw diets
- Beef, Lamb, Chicken & Turkey, and Venison formulas.
- Contains 95% meat and 5% fruits and vegetables.
- Grain-free, no fillers!
- Wholesome raw meat provides the greatest source of biologically available,
natural nutrients, including vitamins, enzymes, and amino acids to
strong bones and lean muscle tone.